Theme Park/Resort – Costa del Sol, Spain
At the request of Daylong Island Española, S.A., Bechtel examined the feasibility of developing a major theme park/resort on a 1,200-acre (486-hectare) site in the Costa del Sol area of southern Spain. The major theme park, to be operated by the Six Flags Corporation, owners and operators of major theme parks in the United States, was envisioned to include a variety of attractions, shows, restaurants, and shops. Sharing design character with the theme park, the resort plan included two major hotels, an 18-hole golf course and club, condominiums, single-family residences, and all required infrastructure.
The 275-room golf course resort hotel and conference center complex was planned to incorporate three low-rise (4-story) hotel wings, with the conference center and surrounding terraces. Restaurants, full service dining, shops, and a swimming pool as well as meeting and exhibition space, an auditorium theater, and an entertainment area were included in the complex. The exclusive 150-room destination resort, designed as a hilltop village, included restaurants, shops, a swimming pool, and five tennis courts.
Bechtel performed the feasibility study including master planning, cost estimating, scheduling, and concept design for the theme park and resort hotels. Bechtel also coordinated the work of market consultants ERA and theme park architects R. Duell and Associates, Bullock Smith and Partners and hotel architects Hornberger and Worstell.
Based on a preliminary market program prepared by Economics Research Associates, Bechtel provided planning services for the project including:
- Development of program and design criteria
- Site analysis and evaluation
- Development of conceptual site layout
- Preparation of cost estimates
- Preparation of project execution plan and schedules
- Presentations to Spanish Government officials
- Contact with U.S. Theme Park Owner/Operators
Acting as Project Managers, Bechtel’s activities
- Coordination of preparation of land use permit documents
- Supervision of engineering design for infrastructure and access roads
- Preparation of bidders lists
- Preparation of contract packages
- Solicitation and evaluation of bids
PM (Study Phase)