1992 Barcelona Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games
The Barcelona Summer Olympics of 1992 presented a major opportunity for the City and the region to implement many projects which would contribute to the long term improvement of infrastructure and public services. Because the responsibility for the financing and management of these projects was distributed among several governmental bodies, a coordinating body was created, called the “Work Group”, to track the progress of work and ensure that all essential facilities were in place in time for the Olympic Games. Entities represented in the Group included the City of Barcelona, COOB’92 (the Organizing Committee), the Regional Government of Catalonia, and the Spanish Central Government.
Bechtel was engaged to provide technical support to the Group, preparing bi-weekly reports on the status of over 350 projects, including highways, the airport, and sports venues, for a period of approximately 22 months leading up to the Opening Ceremony. Bechtel’s work on this critical effort was recognized by the City of Barcelona’s award of the Barcelona ’92 medal.
Bechtel provided the following services:
- Olympics Projects Inventory
- Comprehensive inventory of projects
- Identification of responsible parties (owner, contractor, etc.)
- Analysis of schedules (original, revised)
- Monitoring Reports
- Periodic field visits to selected projects, meetings with contractors and others, preparation of status reports.
- Identification of schedule delays, analysis of reasons for delays, and recommendations to recover lost time.
- Graphic Information
- Assembly of project plans, sketches, and photographs for biweekly meetings.
- Periodic updating of photographs to indicate project progress.
- Control Group
- Monitoring of cost & schedule for various complementary projects related to Olympics venues.
Study Team Member